Sunday, November 17, 2013

Cold

Sunrise over Mt. of Olives
The temperature is steadily falling night by night. It gets so cold I cannot sleep. I haven't managed to get my heaters out of the attic. Yesterday night was so cold I had a splitting headache. Today I found out I wasn't the only one. It's so cold the canaries are dying one by one. From 38, it's down to 10. Have to transfer them into a smaller cage and keep them indoors. But one thing nice about the cold weather is that the skies are clearer and sunrises are stupendous.

Inversely there's a rise in violence between Jews and Arabs. A Jew was killed in Afula near Nazareth and now revenge attacks against Arabs are taking place. There was a bombscare 2 days back in the usually busy Hillel Street. The whole street was blocked off by special police while the suspicious package was detonated. Winter doesn't look good.

Lost 2 great Bible scholars in one week: Francois Bovon and Jerome Murphy O'Connor. The latter was my professor 15 years ago at the Ecole Biblique. Went to his funeral Mass.

Healthwise the wounds are healing. A little pain when I sleep on my side as pressure tends to build up on one side. Have to sleep face up only. But the breathing is much better. However I'm still feeling terribly weak. My security friends all say I look so exhausted and weak and pale. They tell me to go and rest ... but I miss their company and laughter. Word has spread among them about my op. so they all come to ask if I'm ok. They're great guys. Some of my arab friends also call me everyday to ask if I'm ok and need anything. I appreciate that. It's comforting to know people outside and from different religions care so much for a foreigner among them. So-called "brothers" do much less. Thanks to all who made this op. possible. But I'll have to go for another op in a couple of months ... this time probably at an Israeli hospital. Don't look forward to it.