Friday, March 22, 2013

Sandstorm

Sandstorm with strong winds
What a terrible sandstorm ... it hit us very suddenly this afternoon and lasted over 3 hours. Everything was yellowed with fine desert sand ... the sky was darkened and the wind was super strong. Just a short trip down the road to buy some biscuits got me caught in the storm ... eyes, nose, mouth all filled with sand. The Way of the Cross was made in the middle of the storm while the muezzins in all the mosques around here drowned us out with their call to prayer. This time it was extra loud.
Sandstorm in the Territories
(photo from online)

Sad news right now - Chinua Achebe is dead. The Nigerian author is probably best remembered by Sec.4 students for his novel "Things fall apart" which offers an african perspective to colonialism. Powerful stuff. But for Sec.4 students, it's just another exam material. Too bad I didn't enjoy the novel as much as I do now ... probably because I understood it less than I do now.

Obama has finally left. Everyone is saying he's stirred up the sandstorm and left us with dirt in our mouths.