 |
Bishops, Patriarch and Custos walk down the Mt. of Olives |
Yesterday was Palm Sunday. The procession with palms from Bethpage down the Mt. of Olives into St. Anne's Church (Sheep's Pool) in the Old City was a lot smaller than we expected. Several reasons: security blockades due to Obama's visit, security measures for the Jewish Passover tonight, fewer tourist groups ... I think many people felt it was less joyous than last year.
This year I did not buy a palm branch. There were very few on sale and I was too busy to go look for them. Too bad. Our Good Friday (Passover) is just 3 days apart form the jewish Passover but 2 weeks apart from the Orthodox Christian Passover.
 |
| Crowds waving palms |
The weather was pleasant though. It was warm again but the nights remain cold. The guys from Mondo X came after the procession and took 4 quails, 4 canaries and 10 echiums to their mountain residence in Tabor. They'll take good care of the birds and plants ... only thing is I forgot to leave them instructions. Will have to call them later.
 |
Our sisters, Singaporeans and many other people came to the 5th Station for Mass |
This morning was the Mass at the 5th Station of the Cross - "Simon of Cyrene helps Jesus carries the Cross". Mass is celebrated there once a year - on Holy Monday. I had the 6.30am slot. Remembered you all during Mass. Then there is the 7am solemn Mass with the singing of the Passion at the Flagellation tomorrow. The Lenten rigours only get more demanding this week.