Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Holy Wednesday

Holy Tuesday was rather uneventful. The weather was strangely hot and cold though ... the sun beats down heavily but in the shadows, the temperature can drop by 3-4 degrees. Dreadful chill. There was the solemn singing of the Passion according to John at our Flagellation Chapel (2nd Station of the Cross). However I had classes and could not attend.

Ma'amoul from my
good friend Firas
Today Holy Wednesday, the Passion is sung at Gethsemani. Again I have to work the whole morning and cannot join in. Which is just as well because these past 2 weeks my asthma has become so bad, yesterday I blacked out for lack of oxygen. Luckily Sr. Vincenta was nearby and called for help. I was suffocating because I could not breathe in any air. My face turned blue and I started panicking. Too late. Blacked out.

Ma'amoul cookies are being baked in every arab christian house this week.Originally cookies for weddings and other social feasts, they have taken a religious character. Christians make them in the shape of the Crown of Thorns and the Sponge that was raised to Christ's lips while dying on the Cross. They're filled with walnuts, figs or dates. I've been getting some from my friends. Really delicious and light ... good for breakfast or tea.