Sunday, April 29, 2012

Day of violence

Palestinian protest
After a day of pride and festivities on Independence Day, a series of violent attacks erupted throughout Israel. Jewish racist attacks on foreigners    http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/firebomb-attack-on-asylum-seekers-buildings-sparks-clashes-in-south-tel-aviv-1.427022    while arabs attack Jews in several incidents  http://www.jpost.com/NationalNews/Article.aspx?id=267732  Somehow this appears to be the beginning of a summer of serious clashes. On Friday night there was the usual Palestinian students march in East Jerusalem - "Palestine for Palestinians": waving flags, chanting, clenching fists and punching the air, while passing cars honk in support. A smattering of police and soldiers huddle in road corners watching but not intervening.

King Herod's palace in Masada
I've been quite seriously ill again ... it's even beginning to worry me. People around are urging me to go to Haifa hospital or Hadassah but I'm not convinced though. But I know something's got to be done. It gets pretty depressing as it's crippling my life, but luckily this week I've had some good friends around to buffer me up. It was good to meet my italian teacher Ulisse again and with several other friends, we visited the Dead Sea and Masada, the desert fortress/palace of Herod the Great. Haven't been there for well over 10 years now. It's still an impressive edifice. Then of course I get very cheered up when I chat with Firas my good friend in Bethlehem. He's done very well in his exams last week but unfortunately I can't go celebrate with him. He only gets permission to come to Jerusalem once or maybe twice a year and I don't go to Bethlehem so we hardly meet at all. So it's going to be one long summer .... not sure if I look forward to it.