Sunday, April 8, 2012

El Masih qam!!

Easter morning ... the Christian Quarter is stirring with excitement. Shuffling feet along the streets, hushed whispers, shadows drifting ... almost like the furtive Christians of the first centuries in the catacombs. Something was happening ... a public conspiracy ... everyone seemed to know something was happening somewhere; everyone was heading for the same place. But no one was saying word.

From the 5th Station ....
At 3.15am I woke up and prepared to go to the Holy Sepulchre. The muezzin had begun singing the first call to prayer. At 3.30am I was opening the gates of our courtyard ... the muezzin began the second call to prayer with the recitation of the Koran; very very loud, piercing the silence of the City ... but we know that the silence of this Easter Morning is even more powerful than this muslim call. It's the silence of Eternal Life. A warm and strong wind was blowing ... and outside two Israeli security men were checking the exit of their tunnel to the Wailing Wall.

Walked down the Way of the Cross to the 5th Station ... dark, quiet, no one in sight. Went further up till the 7th Station and then I saw people moving quietly towards the Holy Sepulchre like me. I had to reach the Tomb ... for you. In the entire world at that moment, I was probably the only person you know who can do this. And I had to do this for you ... to rush to the Tomb before sunrise and find it empty.

At the Empty Tomb this morning
Reached the Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre around 3.50am ... went up Mt. Calvary to say a prayer. Several people were there in silent prayer. The atmosphere was electrifying. Silence is so powerful.

I prepared to celebrate Mass at 4am sharp - the first Mass of Easter Sunday in the Holy Sepulchre basilica. I was practically alone, yet I could feel the world was present here in the very place where it actually took place. Yes the Tomb is Empty ... he is truly risen. I offered the Mass using the 1st Eucharistic Canon, and remembered each and everyone of you, living and dead ... for here in the place of the Resurrection there are no more living and dead, Jew or pagan, man or woman - all are one in the Resurrected Lord.

After Mass I went to the Altar of Mary Madalene where she clung to Jesus when he appeared to her. Recited Lauds there. It was about 4.40am by then. The first rays of sunlight had broken the darkness. Jews were hurrying to the Wailing Wall for their Passover prayers, muslims walk towards the Al Aqsa mosque. Yes the silence of the Empty Tomb is powerful ... it roars louder than all the calls to prayer or all the sacrifices of lambs. I can tell you because I've been to the Tomb at 4am ... it's empty and silent. He's risen, he's truly risen. Christos anesti! Alethos anesti! El messih qam! Hakan qam!!!!