 |
| Basilica of the Agony in background |
 |
| The ancient olive grove in Getsemani |
Yesterday night I went down to the Garden of Gethsemane at 9pm. Prayers in several languages were said with psalms and readings from the gospels. It was very very crowded. Local Christians from the Territories had come along as well, so most of the readings were in arabic. Unfortunately hoards of tourists also came, not to pray but to take photos, laugh and chat at the top of their voices, spoiling the whole solemn prayer atmosphere. And I'm not afraid to say it: they're americans. There were many of us seated on the ground, out around the ancient olive grove listening to the prayers inside the basilica and praying but these pagan tourists had simply no respect. Walked all over us, laughing, eating. One utterly unbearable couple of girls actually sat in the middle of a praying group and laughed for a whole 20 minutes. Everyone kept glaring at them but being so thick-skinned, they continued with their disrespectful behaviour. I finally got up and told them to keep quiet. And they did. Otherwise I would have no qualms in kicking them out.
 |
| Immense crowds outside the basilica |
Otherwise it was a deeply profound experience. Much more so as I was with a couple of my students, some who will be graduating this year so it's their last occasion to spend Maundy Thursday in the Garden.
 |
| Full moon above |
I prayed for each and everyone of you there among the ancient olive trees.
Early this morning, I made the Way of the Cross, in order to avoid the huge crowds that will come later in the morning. Walked the whole 800 metres, remembering you all and praying for each of you. Started at 6am but already many many people had begun the Way of the Cross. The street was quite crowded. Ended at the Holy Sepulchre whre crowds were waiting for the doors to open.
At the 5th and 6th Stations, I prayed especially for all of you, helpers and benefactors of our poor in the Holyland, just like Simon of Cyrene and Veronica.
 |
| Crowds waiting at the Holy Sepulchre |
 |
| Bridgettine nuns at Way of Cross |
 |
| Indonesian group at 2nd Station |
I'm not going to the Funeral Service this evening, where a statue of Christ is taken down form the cross on Mt. Calvary and carried in procession to the Tomb - all within the Basilica of the Holy Sepulchre. It will be very very crowded and the doors of the Basilica will be closed. I'm afraid my diarrhea might get the better of me and I'd be in big trouble, caught in the middle of the liturgy with the doors locked from the outside.
 |
| Egg/veggie submarine |
Meanwhile I had to control the crowds back at the Condemnation Chapel as too many people were coming in to start the Way of the Cross at 8am onwards. Then at 11am I made some sandwiches for some volunteers who had no lunch. Did 4 submarines - vegetarian and egg/tuna which I think the guys liked. It'll be their only meal for the day while they work hard in crowd control under the very hot sun. They cannot attend the liturgies because by sacrificing their time, they help make the visits of others more profitable and memorable. I think I did a good deed today by caring for the carers.