Monday, December 5, 2011

Cold week

Mt. of Olives on a clear cold day
The weather has been magnificent during the past few days. Deep blue skies, sunny but very cold. Here are some pics.

The forecast is rain for Friday. We need it. And it'll feel less cold if it rains. Arik my Israeli friend caught a cold and was pale and sniffling this morning. He kept saying it must rain otherwise the chill will only get worse. Well it's good to know that some people still remember what rain is, and how it affects our weather. Who knows, perhaps it might even snow in February!

Palm trees as seen yesterday
You know it's winter when cafes and restaurants bring out their gas heaters. It's a pretty fancy thing - quite classy looking, like portable street lamps. They're turned on and the heat is directed downwards to patrons seated below. But it doesn't help if a cold wind is blowing though. I was at Cafe Hillel and took the pic ... there was a little baby getting dressed up for the cold by her mum and grandma. They were waving and laughing at the camera.

Outdoor heaters at Hillel Cafe
Meantime the explosion in Iran's nuclear test-site is sending shockwaves around us. We fear Iran may suspect Israel of the  bombing and launch missiles into our country. War would certainly ruin the lovely days we're trying to enjoy.

My ankle is healing fast. Natural ice-pack = the weather. It's about 9 degrees most of the time so my feet are cold all the time and that acts like an ice-pack! And I'll be getting a carpet ... thanks to a kind donation by a benefactor. It'll keep the floor a little warm for my feet. Right now there's an electric cut - no lights or heating. I'm using candles to light my room. This is the 2nd day it's happening.

About the ponschki - yes I was right. Hanukkah is round the corner so the shops are busy making this festive bun for sale. And no, I haven't had one since yesterday. Am watching my sugar intake. And I'm improving - one meal a day now. Actually Khalil the cook is force-feeding me. So far no serious cramps or diarrhea. Maybe the cold weather has something to do with this.