Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Sukkot

Last night there was a large protest by Palestinians at Damascus Gate. Youths were carrying flags, chanting slogans. The arab crowd that came to watch them was equally large!!! Passive participants who morally want to encourage the protest but afraid to be arrested. Police had started coming in to surround the protesters ... the road leading to Damascus Gate was blocked off from Notre Dame. I wasn't quite sure what the protest was all about - whether it's Sukkot or Gilad Schalit's release or some other reason. I moved on quickly as I too was afraid if the police charged, I'd be trampled.

I was on my way to a little private party organised by my 8 former students to celebrate their final profession into the Salesian congregation. Most made it a month ago. They were from Poland (2), Italy (3), Brazil (1), Canada (1), and the Indian who made it 2 years ago. I was the only prof. invited, besides the dean, rector and treasurer of the salesian community. Apparently they liked me alot as prof. so I got the special invite. And they are very musically talented ... using knives and forks as percussion, wooden shelves as drums, and a guitar, they could sing upbeat songs from Italy, Brazil and Kenya. And the barbeque cooked by themselves was really nice ... a simply meal enjoyed by great company. And there were lots of jokes - the students were imitating each of their professors but were politely demured when asked to imitate me. After the fun, Lorenzo and Dariusz (2 of the students) accompanied me home as bodyguards as they were afraid there might be violence in the streets. It was a fantastic evening. I really felt appreciated by these students.

Meanwhile the medical strike is widening and causing anarchy for the sick. http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/staff-shortages-hit-hospitals-as-resignations-start-to-sting-1.389479  My operation will be postponed again. Sigh.  http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/opinion/israel-s-doctors-and-residents-are-letting-anarchy-reign-1.389247

This evening begins the feast of Sukkot - the greatest feast in the Jewish calendar. And this morning it drizzled ... a good sign.