Yesterday afternoon saw a sudden shower of hailstones - really big ones, bigger than last year's. It lasted no more than 5 minutes but it was quite a sight. And for some who were outdoors, like our Indian student Linson, he got hit on the head by the hail. No major injury but certainly an unpleasant surprise. The anemones that were flowering in the pots outside were battered.
Walking in the streets is now quite a feat. The daily drizzle that comes in the afternoon cover the well-worn flagstones of our Old City streets, making them extremely slippery. Older people walk slowly with canes and sticks, while younger folk plant each foot firmly on the ground before lifting the other foot. Occasionally you get some over-confident people who try to strut the streets ... and watch them fall!
The 1st readings of this week come from the Book of Genesis. It's the story of the creation of the world. From darkness and chaos came order and light. Yesterday I had an awful day which upset me terribly: turned to depression bingeing - ate an entire 1.5 litre tub of ice cream! Joseph aka Tim should be happy to hear that: it's what we call the "fat boy syndrome". But then I received an email from a friend in Singapore saying he dreamed of me and I appeared very happy in the dream. Well, like after some reflection, I thought it's like the creation story. Light comes out of the darkness, joy out of sadness. That gives me a little hope. Now I'm waiting for the happy part to come.
Meantime we received news of more muslim attacks on churches in Indonesia. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12393075 Apparently it was sparked (again) by the blasphemy law of the muslims. I wonder what will happen if Christians impose a blasphemy law on others. But of course that would go against the "turn the other cheek" exhortation. So it's back to being the underdog/victim again.