Last Sunday I was at the SuperPharm to buy medicine (what else?) and the pharmacist Signora Clara, an argentinian jewess who's known us for like umpteen years, mentioned that the World Cup is good. It takes violence off the streets, she said emphatically - "everybody stay at home, watch football. nobody fighting, nobody stealing." You know what? She's right .... the protests in Silwan and Sheikh Jarrah have all died out because "everybody at home, watch football". But what a World Cup this has been ... England, Italy, Cameroon all gone ... France .... duuuuuuhhhh no one is even mentioning France over here.
Yesterday I walked one and a half kms to the phamarcy ... not SuperPharm but Jaffa Gate Pharmacy where I get loads of medicine for Mother Theresa's sisters. This time I got lots again because the sisters sent a message for me to buy more stuff like eye-pads, antiseptic liquid etc. It's terrible under the heat to walk all that distance. I chose to walk back through the alleys again. I like it ... it's quiet. And it passes by the sisters' convent so I dropped off the medicine to them. They were adoring the Blessed Sacrament when I came by ... oops.
And in the night there were lots of fireworks from the muslim quarter.... weddings. It's popular this time of the year. One thing about summer is the muezzin from the mosques sing early in the morning ... 2.30am then 4am. Bound to wake you up. It's so loud the double glass windows shake. Can't wait for winter to come back.