Saturday, November 28, 2009

Sabbath

Ultra Orthodox Jews have been protesting at the Jerusalem Intel factory because it works on the Sabbath. Today secular and liberal jews countered by protesting for a free Jerusalem - free from ultra orthodox coercion and violence. http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1131254.html

And I hope you read about the spitting by Jews at Christians - a rising violence here in the Old City.

Meanwhile today I went to buy medicine from the pharmacy - got Tamiflu as well because lots of people here are getting the flu and Tamiflu is getting sold out real quick. I made an order earlier this week and now I got a whole box! That simply means 14 little packs and it cost over 2000 shekels (almost US$650). I didn't have money on me to pay so I owe the pharmacy money. Don't worry I think I got enough to repay. Also got alot of other medicines I need. Then went home to do some work before I went off to see the doctor ... finally. Now I remember why I hate going to see the doctor ... I have to wait one and a half hours before it was my turn. It's so frustrating just sitting there waiting and waiting. And all the others ahead and behind me were fuming and cursing. Anyway got to my turn. The doc was worried and said it was serious but not to get back to prednesone steroids again because of the side effects (probably the bloat is a result of this.. plus the arthritic fingers and joints). So its back to the regime of inhaled steroids.

In the afternoon we celebrated a Mass for Fr Javier. Lots of teachers and friends showed up but few students ... the younger generation is very different or rather, indifferent. The Custos who was a good friend could not come because he was in Bethlehem for the solemn entrance : today is the feast of St Catherine the patron of our church in Bethlehem. He sent a message of condolances and sorrow. I cried during Mass. Javier was a good friend and classmate.