Last night was wild ... in the streets. The muslims celebrated the end of the Hajj and the climax of the Eid el Adha. Crowds were packing through our street outside (of course we locked our gates tight) all through the night. The muslim scouts started their procession at 9pm - loud, loud, loud drums and bagpipes. Then at 2pm youths were shouting in the streets and causing so much noise. At 4.30am the muezzins were singing at the top of their voices and the crowds packed into the Golden Dome mosque. This went on non-stop with every muezzin in town competing to be louder than the others. It was so loud and it went on for hours till 7.15am when suddenly everything just shut up ... absolute silence. It was such a deadly silence it became frightening! Everyone went home to enjoy their festive meal. Shops were all closed. The streets were empty. Thus the feast ended. For once you could through the Way of the Cross without any hawkers pendering their stuff.
For the 3rd time this week I was called up for emergency meetings. Half an hour notice. I had to drop everything I was doing and rush up to St. Saviour's monastery. Not easy when my asthma and swollen joints are killing me. But made it, half dead. Everyone always panics when they see me arrive because I'm all pale, gasping for breath and about to faint. The usual thing is "sit down, we'll get you a cup of warm water". And I want to say, "get me a coffin ... it's better".
I learned something new last night - you can't fold a piece of paper more than seven times. Try it.
One more day before the liturgical year ends and we begin a new year with Advent. Have you done what you wanted? said what you wanted? Don't start Advent carrying the baggages of last year. God forgives you and forgets all your past. He is greater than all our sins. Come embrace him anew this Advent.