Wednesday, November 25, 2009

250,000 animal sacrifice

The talk about town is the eventual release of captured Israeli soldier Gilat Shalit. In the Israeli public there're vocal opposing voices. Proponents say exchange Palestinian prisoners for Shalit's release; opponents say terrorists should not be released.

The rains came as forecast, more of a drizzle really. The sky is a little dark but is pretty cold. Last night was so cold I couldn't sleep. And of course the asthma didn't help. Now I sleep sitting up because if I lie down, the fluids fill up my lungs and I choke.

Nepal tomorrow will slaughter a quarter of a million animals as part of a Hindu sacrifice - mind you it's 250,000 animals. Talk about extinction. The animals are beheaded and the heads are buried in a two acre field. And you ask "why?" Well I don't know. But St. Francis of Assisi would certainly have done something about it.

And the next day is a muslim feast. Damascus Gate is already festive - vendors pack the plaza to sell their wares. Even in the rain.