Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Winter is here!

Yes winter is really here. The unmistakable sign of that time of the year showed itself today - blackout! In all my years in the Holyland, I've learnt to read the sign of the times for winter. The inevitable electric shortage is the surest sign of winter! This morning as I was taking a shower (4.30am) the lights went out! Thinking that the bulb blew, I peeked out of the window to find the entire neighbourhood in darkness. Winter has come! You see, The Old City of Jerusalem is like a piece of cheese: it's full of holes! Underneath its pavement is nothing but huge cisterns to collect water, cisterns that were dug some 2,000 year ago (some more recent eg the Byzantine and Arab periods). The electric cables are attached below the pavements but above these cisterns. In winter when it rains, the electric cables get short-circuited and blackouts occur almost every other day. Well nowadays its alot better. I remember 15 years ago when we were issued candles during winter - the examination period, and we had to study by candle light. Those who could afford would buy battery-powered fluorescent lamps. Today our monastery has its own emergency generator, so the lights come on within 2 minutes of a blackout.

Another sure sign of winter - aching bones! Aaahhh the wisdom of old-age! Yesterday my left ankle was extremely painful and my feet were so cold I had to dig out the 12 suitcases to look for socks. The only ones I could find were bright red - so who cares, right? Problem was I forgot to change them or wear shoes over them (you know me, always in sandals) and as I presided over vespers (Evening prayer) in my habit, the other friars began to give me strange looks. I then realised that I had bright red socks on; and it sure looked weird with a habit! Anyway no-one said anything, but I knew what they were thinking, so I tried to cover them by pulling my habit lower, even bending the knees in order to cover them! Armani would have cried at my colour combination!

Mass this morning was a surprise for everyone. They all thought I would sing something in chinese, as they kept pestering me the day before. Instead it was a quiet Mass, everything was recited. It was sort of an anti-climax for them; but I promised them something grand for the Solemnity of All Saints - so watch out, Pavarotti! Oops forgot he died. Will remember him on All Souls.

My meeting with the dean was pretty fruitful - we talked about how to celebrate Fr Allegra's 100th anniversary. He taught at our Jerusalem Studium Biblicum during the years 1955-56 and 1966-67. The older professors here still remember him as they were his students. During dinner last night, they recalled the times when Allegra was in Jerusalem.

Yesterday evening was a breakthrough - Sr Pieta actually spoke to me!!!!! As usual I had to clear the refectory table, and Sr. Geronima taught me to say "I am an old man" in polish - of course she couldn't stop laughing. The slavic language is so full of consonants I get saliva spraying out of my mouth everytime I try to pronounce a word. Everytime the sisters try to teach me a polish phrase, I tell them to get the umbrellas out. Anyway Sr Pieta asked what colour vestments I wanted to wear for mass this morning. Breakthrough! This overwhelming sense of success spurs me toward my next challenge - get Sr Pieta to sing in polish! Wish me luck!