Saturday, October 27, 2007

Hebdom blues

Got my table yet, you ask? NO! (Isn't that the obvious and logical answer?)

Instead I went out to Bethany (village of Martha, Mary and Lazarus) to look for beds. Strange isn't it? - you probably think of Bethany as the place where Jesus revived Lazarus, or where Martha served Jesus while Mary stayed at his feet; or where Jesus had a meal in Simon the Leper's house and a woman came to anoint his feet; an ideal village that the "penguins" have conjured up during catechism classes. Well, it's a lot more down to earth for us here - Bethany is the place for cheap goods - like vegetables, electrical appliances and furniture. It's hot, dusty and very very poor. But the villagers are very cordial and courteous. It used to take less than 15 minutes to walk over the Mt. of Olives to get to Bethany from Jerusalem; but now with the wall separating Jerusalem cutting right across the Mt. of Olives, it takes over 45 minute by car to get there. As usual Jadallah had to drive me there. I didn't find anything I thought was useful (meaning I didn't have the money - the cheapest bed costs 1,000 shekels or HK$4,000). Besides almost 50% of all the goods here are made in China. So I came home without a bed. Anyone willing to bring me a bed from HK if you're coming my way? :)

Anyway I got back to my room almost at lunchtime. Made a call to my mum; then my sis Catherine called. Spoke also with my niece Charlyn. Then went down to the refectory (that's what a dining room is called in a monastery) for lunch and was gently reminded (very euphemistic) that tonight I begin my turn as the hebdomedarius. Big word? It's nothing to do with dromedaries, ok Britney? It comes from the greek "hebdomada" which means "7" or "a week". I'll be in charge of leading all the prayers for the coming week, bless all the community meals, preside at Masses and preach. We all take turns doing this, and I feel particular pressure because I'm not good preaching in Italian. I get all nervous the night before because all the best bible scholars and professors are present at very prayer, meal and Mass. The "hebdom" ( as he's known for short) has 2 assistants called cantors who help out. However my 1st cantor is going out this week to Nazareth and my 2nd cantor is too scared to help me preach at least once. Remember besides the solemn Sunday Mass, we also have All Saints Day and All Souls Day to preach next week. Now I feel like shrivelling up like an old dry leaf and be blown away by the hot autumn winds. Aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! No bed, no table and lots of Italian homilies to preach!!!! I'll go to the library now and start preparing tomorrow's sermon. Wish me luck!