Thursday, October 25, 2007
Our Lady of Palestine
Today is the Feast of Our Lady of Palestine. It's a local feastday, but though the morning Mass at our monastery was solemn, few friars and studients attended. That's because two other events are taking place on the same day - the biweekly excursion which is compulsory for all new students; and the annual pilgrimage of the Franciscans to the Baptismal Site of Christ. On this day, the states of Israel and Jordan observe a ceasefire along the Jordan River so that friars and pilgrims can visit the sanctuary there and celebrate Mass. I couldn't go along because I had to go to the Immigration Dept. again. Things worked out quite smoothly today. Our Lady of Palestine must want me here badly. But that doesn't mean I'll get my visa. I'll have to wait for Nov 14th to find out. Anyway I got home early and helped Sr. Geronima clean the large canary cage (it wasn't cleaned for the past 2 months so you can imagine the state it was in) in our courtyard; then sister suggested cleaning the entire courtyard so we spent the next 2 and a half hours washing and sweeping it. Now my left ankle is terrible swollen, but I had fun nonetheless. I had the chance to spray water at sister!!!!! She belongs to the congregation of Our Lady of Mercy (same as St. Faustina) so she wears a funny headdress and veil. We have lots of laughs making fun at each other's heads. Anyway the 18 canaries are very happy now with a clean cage, lots of grain, veggies and clean water. This afternoon I'll do some studies in the library, clean my room and probably sleep early (meaning 7pm. I skip dinner). Tomorrow I'll go buy a chair; the table should follow logically but over here, it's anyone's guess what'll turn up first!