 |
| Great Lent fasting foods |
Ash Wednesday today, started badly for me. After feeding the wild doves and sparrows, and watering the plants on the terrace, I went off to work. I decided to take the shorter route today (1km) as I'm fasting and I didn't want to stress myself and faint walking an extra 1km. Everything seemed normal. The uphill climb was difficult as usual and I always walked slowly at that area when it gets steepest. Reached New Gate, greeted the workers standing around waiting for instructions regarding where they will work today. Entered the library and then I realised I didn't have my backpack on me. I panicked. I searched the whole library surroundings, then walked back 1km to Damascus Gate checking the pavement and park. I re-entered Damascus Gate and asked the old man who sold newspapers if he saw my backpack. No. Walked back home in total panic. I could I not realise that a 4kg backpack was missing on me? This is the 2nd it has happened. I reached my room and found it on the floor inside there. It's a very scary experience. I really think dementia or Alzheimer's is starting to work in my brains. I'm scared to walk back to work ... also because I was already exhausted. Our janitor decided to drive me there instead.
Yesterday my Armenian Catholic parishioners came to visit me as Lent will start today. The eastern rite Churches especially here in the Holy Land, eat nuts and dates and dried fruit during Lent. No cooked food. That's what the ancient Desert Fathers also ate during Lent 1,500 years ago. My parishioners gave me fried fruit and bags of nuts, wishing me a fruitful Lent. It was very nice of them. The Church closed 4 years ago during Covid and now these parishioners join the Roman Mass or the Armenian Orthodox liturgy. But they still remember me. And luckily I remember them. My memory isn't totally lost .... yet.