![]() |
| Lenten Vigil |
Last Saturday I joined the Lenten Vigil at the Holy Sepulchre. It starts at 11.45pm. We sing the Office of Matins in latin in solemn form. It begins with an invitatory psalm and then a hymn and then 3 psalms with its antiphons and prayers. Then a Scriptural passage follows, and a reading from the Fathers of the Church. A prayer is then said and then we begin singing 3 biblical canticles. The last canticle is the Benedictus and there's a procession with lighted candles around the Empty Tomb. The procession returns to our Chapel of the Blessed Sacrament where another prayer is said, intercession of the faithful are prayed and a final solemn blessing. Everything in Latin.
![]() |
| Procession around the Empty Tomb |
Coming back to my office at 1.30am when it ended was very difficult. There are many steps to climb up and I was not able to do it. 2 seminarians helped me by supporting both my arms. It took quite a while to reach the library and since it was already 2.30am when I reached my office, I decided not to go home but slept 3 hours on the chair and started work at 6am. A younger me would have taken it all in stride but a now-me take it as good penance.

