Tuesday, February 11, 2025

Power out

Last week ... windy and cold
The weather continues to be very cold. But the rains forecast for yesterday, today and tomorrow don't seem to come. Anyway it feels like below zero degrees. Cold and rainy weather always causes short circuits in our power supply. Last night the Nablus road neighbourhood was in total darkness ... literally pitch dark. The Dominican monastery, the Christian owned Jerusalem hotel, the FMM convent were all in darkness and without heating. Last week it was the muslim quarter in the Old City. It's bad when it's this cold and there's no heating. Old and sick people suffer much because of this.

Musrara market empty
This morning I went to the French Hospital - that's the local name for it; it's actually St. Joseph hospital run by the Sisters of St. Joseph of the Apparition - to do my echo and stress tests on the heart. I waited for an hour. Then the registrar came out and told me I'll have to wait for maybe 2 more hours because the queue is very long. We both agreed to reschedule my tests to Sunday next. I just hope I won't get a heart attack and die before that.

Then my only co-worker in the library fell and broke her arm and rib. She's on sick leave for a month. Now I've to work full time taking her place, while juggling to go to the Post Office, Printery, Bank and other errands to be done. It's stressful.