Saturday, January 4, 2025

New week

Heavy rain
The few nights of the new year were dramatic. Missile alert sirens at 4am followed by explosions. I was already awake doing work when I heard the sirens. It was in south Jerusalem but debris can land as far as here in central Jerusalem. And debris is not small bits of metal but tonnes of rocket fuselage that can destroy houses. We have no bunkers to hide .... all old buildings don't have bunkers. So I waited it out under my table. It's the only thing I can take cover in. Everyone else was asleep and didn't know the better.

For the new few nights, I slept intermittently ... waiting for more sirens. There were a few more in the coastal west of the country. No injuries so far except for shock.

Heavy rain
The rains had stopped after 2 days. At times it was heavy but mostly it remained as a drizzle. It was good as the land is saturated with water after a long drought. But still it's not quite enough for Spring plants to sprout. The hills continue to be brown and no signs of anemones or wild mustard. We're hoping more rains will come ... even snow ... but the forecast for next week is sun. 

And we thought that after the rains it would be warmer. On the contrary it's a lot colder now than when it rained. 

And that's how the new year came in ....