Saturday, December 28, 2024

Holy Innocents

Few people in Bethlehem
I've been to Bethlehem again today. It's the feast of the Holy Innocents and I celebrated Mass in the Basilica of the Nativity where the grotto of the Holy Innocents is found. Solemn Mass was celebrated there by a group of our friars led by the vice-Custos. Then we were able to visit the other grottos around such as St. Jerome. Anyway I celebrated Mass for all your intentions there. The altar commemorating the Holy Innocents was beautifully laid out in the middle of tombs.

Bethlehem was a little more crowded but still way emptier than in pre-Covid times. No tourists at all. Only Indian and Filipina foreign workers. There were no decorations, or Christmas trees or buntings and flashing lights. Bethlehem was sombre, subdued and very quiet. It was sad.

Altar of the
Holy Innocents
In a way we're all glad 2025 is ending. It had been terrible ... a year of war and violence and suffering; a year where many friends died. The New Year must bring us hope and peace and joy. We have suffered too much last year. We deserve something good in 2025.