Friday, August 23, 2024

Nightmare

Cemented terrace at 4am
Last night was the nightmare to top everything. The workers on the terrace began to pump cement over the asphalt covering. Because our street is too narrow, the cement truck was parked some 50 meters down the road. A long pipe brought the cement not just to our door but up 5 floors to the terrace. And that was 8pm. They completed the work at 2.30am. And the pump was directly above my room. The noise and chaos went on all night and I couldn't sleep a wink. Workers shouting from above my room to 5 floors below and down the street. Fallen pipes and heavy equipment caused our ceiling to crack at various places. And nobody was supervising the work. I had only 2 hours of sleep as I had to go to the Ivrea convent for Mass at 5.30. Absolute nightmare.

Pieces of ceiling fall off
Now at 9am my head is still reeling from the noise and lack of sleep. But I can't afford to rest as there's a researcher coming to do last minute work on the martyrs of Damascus before their canonization in October. The library is officially closed for summer but under these circumstances, I have to let the researcher do his work. It's going to be one exhausting day.