Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Festivities

Inside Damascus Gate at 4.30am
The First Lady N. Rivlin passed away this morning after a long illness. Despite her illness she carried out her official duties in a dignified manner, and humbly ... while discreetly and unapologetically carrying an oxygen tank which she requires. She is an inspiration to all sick people who have to carry out duties. I'm sure the whole country will miss her.

Meantime the muslim world is in chaos. They can't decide if Ramadan ends today or yesterday. Some countries following Iran's lead and closed Ramadan yesterday and celebrate Eid el Fitri today. Their political rivals follow Saudi Arabia's lead whose king announced the end of Ramadan tonight and Eid el Fitri tomorrow. In Palestine some towns follow Iran and others follow Arabia ... so there's general confusion. One village is still fasting today but the next village is feasting the whole day.

Last dawn of Ramadan today
I had to go to hospital early this morning in order to avoid the muslim crowds entering the Ol City to pray. Pre-dawn prayers begin at 3.45am and at 4am dawn prayers start with the firing of the cannon. I went out at 4.30am since the crowds would be inside the mosques praying and the streets quiet. It was the last down of Ramadan and the streets were really quiet. I took a few photos of Damascus Gate as the sunshine broke behind it.

The almost 2 hr ride to hospital was spent mainly asleep. I was tired since I had to fast since yesterday. The tests and CT scan was relatively quick ... despite my fear of needles. and claustrophobia for CT machines. The medical staff had to blindfold me for the CT scanning and hum a song to distract myself from the claustrophobia. They had to take the scan 3 times ... what a disaster. And they took 6 phials of blood for tests ... and my blood was so dark and thick it looked black. The nurses were surprised and made no comments. I have to return on Friday to get the results and the specialist from a northern hospital will come to speak with me. Anyway the injection of medicines made me feel very sick and I'm resting for the rest of the day. Nausea and giddy.