Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Vacation

Sunset in Jaffa
Another earthquake in the north yesterday. The Home Front agency published warnings and instructions in case a major earthquake does strike. A sister from Tiberias happened to come to Jerusalem and she described how frightened they were when their convent shook during th 4.7 earthquake during the weekend. Better safe than sorry so I'd better repack my earthquake emergency bag ... refill it with new medicines and bottles of water, test the torchlight etc...

I finally got my "vacation" ... it's 36 hours in Jaffa. I looked forward to it as it is the first break I am having. My superior had insisted that I go to rest as he could see was I becoming sick from all the work. And the heat was not helping.

My home in Jaffa ... a landmark
But don't think I was allowed to rest. Within the first 3 hours I received 5 messages asking me to solve this problem or that. The worse is the nun who starts with "I hope you're resting and enjoying your vacation ... now I have 2 problems you need to solve...". I hate such hypocrisy and selfishness.

Feeling the sea breeze blowing is so good even though it's 32 degrees. The cook asked me to do lunch today so I'm cooking Phad Kra Pao. Simple dish but I'm not sure our international community will like it. We have Indian, Ukrainian, Ethiopian, Filipino, Polish, Italian, Congolese and Mexican friars here. Very mixed taste.

An evening walk down the beach was very relaxing ... the view of the monastery from far away is very beautiful. It's a landmark in this city. Well I have only 8 hours left so I'm going back to sleep. That's what I need.