Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Heatwave

Clock Tower in Jaffa
The heatwave is hitting us like it's it the rest of the world. Greece is on fire with love 70 people dead. Here it was 41 degrees. The sun beat down relentless. Luckily there have been no forest fires or casualties. The govt had warned the elderly and children to remain indoors. On the upside, heatwaves always see a drop in violence and clashes. Soldiers cannot fight well in boiling temperatures, equipment melt or are destroyed by the heat. Well if it brings some cessation of war up in the north and also in the south ... then let's suffer some heat.

Yesterday I had gone to Tel Aviv to see my physiotherapist. However he had to cancel the appointment as he was called up by the National Sports Centre to work. I wasn't ready to travel another hour home in the heat and walk 1km ... so I stayed back at our house in Jaffa. Luckily there are aircons in that house. The humidity was 100%. It was suffocating. But in the evenings, a cool but strong sea breeze blows though and makes it alot more bearable. Still for some, they choose to sleep outdoors because the rooms are like ovens.

Cooking Phad Krapao in the market
This morning I accompanied an Indonesian friar to visit the wet market in Tel Aviv. There were marvellous arrays of fruit and food and veggies. And I found a small stall selling Thai street food including Phad Krapao. The young thai lady was very nice and cooke d the food right in front of you. So we ordered 2 takeaways and ate them for dinner. It's really street food and it cost half of what we pay in the Thai restaurant. I'm definitely going back there whenever I can. It's really delicious. I also found stalls selling chives which practically are non-existent in Jerusalem. Our chinese sisters love to eat chives so I bought 5 bunches for them.

It was a relaxing day and all good things must come to an end. Took the long journey home again 4 hours ago and survived the journey. But the Phad Krapao made my day. It was worth even walking in the heat to go buy it.