Sunday, February 4, 2018

St. Blaise

Sunrise
Yesterday was an incredibly busy day. I had to meet 3 students who are writing their theses with me, correcting their work, suggesting changes and guiding the direction of the research. That took the whole morning. I was mentally exhausted. In between sessions I rushed off to buy some buns as I hadn't eaten dinner the night before nor breakfast in the morning. I bought a sausage bun which is the usual because it's the cheapest and it fills the stomach. But feeling extra hungry I decided to get an omelette bread as well. It's a typical arab pastry ... round pitta with upturned edges that hold an omelette with minced mutton. But I got a shock when the guy told me the bun cost 5 shekels and the omelette bread 10 shekels. Everything has gone up by 2 shekels. Things are getting so expensive here. Soon we'll not be able to afford to buy bread.

Sausage bun &
omelette bread
Yesterday was also the feast of St. Blaise. After Mass the celebrant blessed our throats with 2 candles. It's suppose to be a blessing against asthma and the like. Well I've had this blessing for over 25 years and I still have the illness. Only thing helping me now is the change in medicine. My heart is still weak so I've slowed done a lot in doing everything. I really feel old. And my memory ebbs back and forth. But St. Balise can't help me with that. Maybe St. Anthony can help me ... he's the patron of lost things ... I lost my memory.

After the massive storm we had last week ... with waves that flooded all the streets along the coast ... Israel has installed a tsunami alarm system. Signs are put along the streets of Tel Aviv and that alarmed people!!  https://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-5081085,00.html

And another more alarming news ... Hamas in Gaza are warning of an impending war with Israel in the coming weeks.  http://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-Conflict/Report-Hamas-believes-war-with-Israel-will-break-out-in-the-coming-days-540620