Monday, February 19, 2018

Sick

Some of my students last night
Last night I felt a tightness round my chest and thought it could've been the cold but this morning I am utterly breathless and fatigued. There was no loud wheezing like an asthma attack but all the other symptoms point to it. As I walked uphill to my other library later at 8.30am I realised I could not walk very far as I felt very faint and my breathing was very shallow and chest very tight. So I returned and went to my usual arab doctor. He checked me out and said it's severe asthma ... an allergic reaction to something. Well I couldn't think of anything as I drank half a cup of coffee only this morning. So it wasn't something I ate. The doc said it cold be something in the air as we've had a bad sandstorm a few days ago and some pollen or stuff would still be floating in the air ... or dust from the many renovation works along the street. Despite the rain, people make house renovations in winter because the building materials and workmen are cheaper. In summer prices rise.

Anyway I asked the doc why it didn't feel like a normal asthma attack like before and he explained that the seratide I am now taking has suppressed many of the symptoms so my asthma attack now is not like before. Anyway he gave me an injection and put me back on my dreaded enemy ... prednisone. The doc said there is no other choice as my asthma is very bad. So today I start my 2 week course of prednisone.
Musrari in bloom

Last night my level 2 english language students asked me to bring them to a chinese dinner ... and practice their english skills there. Ah Ling of Mandarin restaurant is now cooking alone in the kitchen  as her cooks returned to China. There were 2 groups of tourists eating dinner and I thought Ah Ling would not be able to cook my group's dinner as well so I told her to simply give us what the other groups are having. That would save her from cooking extra. The students were delighted in learning about Chinese New Year, the traditions and eating chinese food. It was a nice evening. And my asthma allergy did not come from dinner because it usually starts within 10 minutes from eating the allergen, not after one night.

Church leaders in Jerusalem have united a presented a letter demanding the Jerusalem Municipality to retract statements threatening to collect retro-active taxes from church properties.  http://www.vaticannews.va/en/church/news/2018-02/church-in-jerusalem-taxation.html

Police have arrested some Israelis for attacking an arab bus driver. That's a good move ... it doesn't guarantee a charge will be made but at least it is a start.  https://www.timesofisrael.com/police-arrest-israelis-suspected-of-assaulting-arab-bus-driver/

Meantime Israel continues to bombard Gaza, hitting military targets and destroying tunnels. Though pre-emptive in nature, it serves to unite the Gazans in anger.  Tensions will be higher than before.   https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel-strikes-gaza-tunnels-after-renewed-rocket-fire/

And jewish rightwing extremists attacked jewish left-wingers in the West Bank. Talk about implosion.  https://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/.premium-settlers-filmed-throwing-stones-at-left-wing-activists-in-west-bank-1.5808502