Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Basilica still closed

Pilgrims outside the Basilica
The Holy Sepulcher continues to be closed. It's not sure if the matter will be resolved but while pilgrims go home disappointed, local israelis are accusing the Mayor of Jerusalem and the Finance Ministry for creating a mess from a dispute among themselves, spilling it to the christian churches who have to pay the price. But there are also many Israelis who are jubilant that the churches are being taxed ... and their reasons range from economic to unbridled anti-christianity. There is no lack of hatred in this country. And the muslims are being afraid ... because they know if the churches fall to these demands, then they will be next. The good thing about them is that they will have all the arab States behind them so a huge uproar will be expected if Israel demands taxes from mosques.

Dew on the freesias
Meantime the anti-christian lobby here in Jerusalem are moaning their plight that taxes in Jerusalem are the highest in all the country. Rather than admit that it's due to the Finance Ministry not giving the Mayor a budget (which resulted in municipality strikes and uncollected garbage for a week), they blame it on christians who do not pay taxes on churches and other properties. It's an attempt to deflect attention away from the real issue and ... as usual ... put the blame on christians who are easy targets.

The day remains dark and gloomy ... like the atmosphere in our churches. It's 13 degrees outside but the wind is strong and cold despite the sun. It rained last night though and the air this morning was at least clean and crispy. Spring flowers are all blooming and the new leaves are appearing on trees. My little garden of 15 pots on the library roof is colorful with purple muscari and red / yellow freesias. Yesterday bumble bees were flying all around them. It's been a very long time since I've seen a bumble bee in our area. What we have are more honey bees from our apiaries down in the Garden of Gethsemani.

Meantime I'm weaning off prednisone. I still have another week of medication to go but the dosage is being reduced every 3 days. My hands and feet are swollen as a side effect, and my tummy is bloated. I still am insomniac, sleeping only 2 hours a night. And I am very confused and lethargic most of the time. I had planned to go to Jaffa today to get some fresh air but as usual work required me to stay back. One day I'll just pack my bags and run away where nobody can find me. Then I can rest in peace.