Friday, January 19, 2018

Storm again

Palms trees bent by the wind
What a storm we had yesterday evening. And to lasted till mid-afternoon today. Winds up to 100km per hour. We only got warning yesterday afternoon when the winds were already quite forceful. I guess it was too late for many people. 15 were injured. 4 seriously. Trees fell, roads were flooded, and the cold was dreadful. The rain was very heavy at times and we had hailstones several times yesterday and today. Last night it was 3 degrees and the windows were pelted by the rain, creating a sound that we have no heard for a long long time. Mt. Hermon in the north is snowed over. The Lake of Galilee rose by 1 cm. Rivers in the desert overflowed and many parts of the desert were inundated. By 8pm when I was on my way home, the streets were deserted. Everyone was rushing home to stay warm and dry. The usual crowds on a Thursday night at Suleiman street in front of Damascus Gate were gone. Shops closed and only a few cars were speeding along the road.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/15-hurt-4-seriously-in-accidents-linked-to-stormy-weather/

Solemn Street deserte

I decided not to go to work in the other library as the weather was really bad. But suddenly the sun came up so I decided to go anyway. On my way up the skies turned dark and hail began to hit down really hard. I had to run through the alleys which provided more shade than the main road.

As the weather gets back to normal this evening, we're warned that Tuesday will suffer another storm. This time I'll be ready. Yesterday our flower pots were blown down. I'll have to anchor them down this weekend.

Apparently the bombings in Damascus last week were targeted at churches and monasteries. I bet you never even found this on your news.  http://www.custodia.org/default.asp?id=779&id_n=34415

And in the midst of the storm, a terrorist car-rammed an israeli soldier near the Baptismal site of Christ in Jericho. It's not a good sign. Tensions are rising again as the PM announced the US will move its embassy as soon as this year. Later Trump announced that it's not true. Slap in the face.