Monday, January 15, 2018

Another day of rain

The night market under tents
It rained again today after a sunny morning that lasted only a few hours. The dark rain clouds blew into Jerusalem and the wind was cold. I think the highest temp. we had today was 9 degrees ... but like the local weather forecast says "I feels like 4 degrees".

Last night coming home in the rain ... and some hailstones as well ... I saw the night market opened inside Damascus Gate. Most of the vendors were finding shade in the awnings of shops but one had a tent spread over his veggies. Very creative. Needless to say I arrived home soaking wet. Luckily I didn't catch a cold. Some guys in our house are quite sick from the weather ... coughing, fever and aches in the joints. Yesterday while the sun was out in mid-morning, I went to the Supersol Supermarket 2 kms away. I used to accompany a professor there every Sunday but he has since retired and returned to Sicily. I've hardly been back there since. I was surprised to see the changes they made in the supermarket ... much more spacious and a lot more goods. However I wanted Coleslaw dressing and nowhere in Jerusalem can it be found.

Supersol supermarket
This evening we had a doctoral defense. The candidate did a very thorough work, investigating literature from early Judaism to 5th century Church Fathers. He used to come everyday to the library and research his thesis. Very hardworking. I hope he had a good mark. Yes it's time for exams. Good thing it's raining because the students are all staying at home to study. Keeps them focussed.

It's time for another meeting now. Hope it ends quickly so we can have dinner and go to sleep.