Saturday, November 5, 2016

Mass in the Empty Tomb

The original stone bed is covered by
the modern marble slab ... again
Early this morning at 4.15am I walked slowly to the Holy Sepulchre Church for Mass. It's my first Mass inside the (still) renovated Tomb ... definitely one of the first Masses to be celebrated after the original cave stone where Jesus' Body was laid, had been uncovered ... and re-covered. It was an overwhelming experience for all who attended the Mass.

It was Sr. Nimfa (a PDDM sister who graduated form our university 2 years ago) who organised the Mass for her small group of pilgrims. The priest who was supposed to come with them could not make it, so Nimfa asked me to celebrate the Mass for them instead. I brought along some old friends Gus and Eunice and their friends to join in as well. All in all there were only 11 people which made the Mass inside the Tomb very pleasant.

Glass window
exposing the
original cave wall
inside the Tomb
Something new was added inside the Tomb: a glass window exposing part of the original cave wall. Remember Jesus' Tomb was originally a cave. It is amazing. Everyone was crying when the Gospel was read regarding the women coming to this Tomb with spices, wondering who will move the stone away from the entrance. Now we could see the actual remains of it.

And I remembered everyone of you during Mass inside the Tomb. And I prayed for you all and your intentions.

Meantime there has been an incredible influx of asian tourists to the Holy Land this week. This morning alone the Via Dolorosa (Way of the Cross which is a street) was packed with chinese, indian, filipino and indonesian groups. I had to push my way back home. This is a good sign. Now let's hope it's not just a shopping tour for them but an encounter with the Risen Christ.