Sunday, November 6, 2016

Cold

Early morning chill: bedouin women
prepare to sell vegetables
The weather has cooled drastically in 2 days. Nights go down to 10 degrees ... and daytime is very cloudy with dark clouds though it never rains. And the wind is cold too. Hoodies are the main clothes worn by most people. So are scarves and caps.

The streets are quite empty in the early mornings as the chill deters people from going out. Only the bedouin hawkers dare to brave the chill by setting up their vegetable produce, waiting for the first customers to pass by.

I managed to notice all these when I went to the Holy Sepulchre yesterday morning for Mass. It definitely feels like winter. Our new Indonesian student is having trouble with this cold weather. He was not prepared for it. Now he's sick with cold and does not have winter clothing. I gave him what I luckily had - mostly new winter clothes and shoes. Yesterday I bought him winter pyjamas and socks. Hope the poor guy recovers.

Holy Sepulchre Church at 4am
There's a video circulating in the Internet showing the Syrian Catholic Archbishop of Bagdida returning to the bombed out cathedral and offered the first Mass in 2 years on a makeshift altar. Let's hope the christians will return to the christian towns. It will be a lot of work to rebuild the lives and buildings there ... and they need our help. Basic infrastructure such as water, electricity and food is essential ... and now that winter is in, heating will be very necessary. It will not be a warm, joyous Christmas for them this year. Perhaps you can spread some joy to them.