Monday, April 25, 2016

Orthodox Holy Week

Beef noodle soup
The Eastern Orthodox Holy Saturday coincided with the Jewish Passover. The streets were crazy down in our Quarter. Over ten thousand copts and ethiopians descended onto the Old City making the Palm Sunday procession on Saturday!!!!! And jews were flocking by the thousands to the Wailing Wall. Security was super tight especially because it was also the Muslim prayer day. I stayed indoors. Not that I'd avoid a clash ... I'm always one of the first there to see the action .... but because a hamsin is blowing - the hot sand storm with fine dust that causes my asthma to become extremely severe. My asthma attacks have become so frequent and severe I blackout several times a day.

Sunday was different. I had no choice but go out several times. Temp went up to 32 degrees, the dust storm continued to blow .... It was very difficult for me to breathe. There was so much to do, errands to run, I was utterly exhausted by evening.

Billy and his brother
I had the chance yesterday however to visit Billy, my friend's noodle shop just opposite Mamilla Hotel. It's a small shop and it serves soup noodles only. Really good. The beef stock is very rich and the simple food - no fancy sweet and sour pork and other stuff - is homely and reasonably priced. Hope to be eating there more often ... also because it's 3 mins walk from my office!!!

And this morning there was the Priestly Blessing at the Wailing Wall. Thousands gathered there to wait for the hundreds of jewish priests to give them the blessing of Aaron. A very ancient rite that has been preserved since the Temple was destroyed 2000 yrs ago. It will take place again on the 3rd day of Sukkoth in Autumn. I'll be going for that one.