Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Ray of hope

And tensions continue to rise as the 2 feastdays round the corner. Yesterday arabs attacked a jewish Day Care Center for toddlers. A very frightening experience. Soldiers have been randomly stopping youths in and around the City to gather personal details so that if any trouble happens, all these will be rounded up as suspects. As it is, already some 400 arab youths have been arrested, some thrown in jail, others on bail and forced to do community service (building jewish houses) ... not because they actually committed anything but only to remove them from the streets during this month of Jewish feasts so that they may not start any trouble.

It was good to see my jewish security friends again after 3 days of Rosh haShana holidays. We've become real good buddies and they consider me one of them. Lots of hugs and wishes for a happy new year. Problem is with this muslim-jewish tension in the air, I'm put in a difficult situation. My muslim friends see me as a traitor for having jews as friends. And my jewish friends think I should dump the muslim friends because they're violent aggressors. It's a delicate balance ... and I try to show each side the good in the other. Trying to be an instrument of peace.

A glorious sight
There was an incredibly beautiful sunrise yesterday. Rays of sunlight bursting through a mass of clouds over the Mt. of Olives. It's a sign of hope ... at least that's how I felt when I photographed it. How much we need hope here. Just read that the postal strike is now spreading to public transport, diplomatic service (visa section of foreign ministry) and tourism. Somewhere, somehow ... a ray of hope must be shining for us while everything around us seem to be crumbling.