Saturday, October 18, 2014

Friday again

Soldiers and police
in front of our school
Yesterday morning at 5.30am we were awaken by explosions of fireworks and stun grenades fired in the Al Aqsa Compound. It's the first time riots took place so early in the morning. By 6am the road from Lions Gate to our place was closed off and hundreds of soldiers were swarming our street. Because of the massive military presence, there was no violence in the streets during the morning. But I think later they closed off Damascus and Herod's Gates as well ... limiting entry into the City to men over 50 yrs. I think there were scuffles outside at the Gates. But inside the City there were no problems even after the noon prayers.

It was only later at 11pm that violence re-occurred. I was already asleep but woke up with a shock when dozens of fireworks were fired in the streets in front and behind our house ... a couple directly from below my window. The police responded by firing stun grenades. Running battle went on for over an hour. How can a poor sick man get some rest and sleep?

Another team of soldiers
at the other end of the
street between the Armenian
basilica and the
Austrian Hospice
The weather is turning cold now. Nights drop between 12 - 15 degrees. I think its time to get my radiator out and keep the fan away. Only problem is the weather is pretty fickle and if by Christmas the heat returns, I don't want to have to take the fan out again.

I decided yesterday to bring a new student to buy winter clothes and heater and other necessities. Walked round East Jerusalem only to find all the shops closed. Of course ... it was Friday; muslims don't work. Walked to West Jerusalem ... and everything closed. Of course the Sabbath was just beginning so all Jews don't work. I simply forgot it was Friday and nothing works in this country on the jewish and arab sides. I must be getting dementia ... can hardly remember anything anymore.