Sunday, July 13, 2014

Night time battle

All night battle in our neighbourhood ... couldn't sleep a wink. Arab locals apparently had smashed security cameras in the neighbourhood. When soldiers stepped in, the arabs shot fireworks at them. The soldiers returned fire with stun grenades. Then a cat-and-mouse chase along the alleys of the Bab Hutta neighbourhood - the poorest area in the Old City. Our street was blocked from our garage entrance down to Lions' Gate and eventually spread to Herod's Gate. Now all that started from 2am and ended toward 4.30am. With arabs shouting "Allahu akbar" and soldiers yelling orders ...  and multiple massive explosions ...  it made sleeping impossible. I'm absolutely certain coming back was a mistake ... I can't recover here. I need to get out.

The amazing colours of
summer fruit and veggies
in our kitchen. 
The heat remains stifling ... 32 or more during the day and 26 degrees during the night. Have been putting an ice-pack over my eyes and nose to stop the hemorrhaging. Despite the sleepless night, I had a hectic morning. A chinese group came to visit me, then an indian group, then Sr Aroti from Mother Teresa's sisters. She was superior of Gaza but now is transferred to Syria. She came to say goodbye.

Afternoon is another work ... the ethiopic rite chaplain for eritrean and ethiopic christians want me to show him the roads and churches as he has to celebrate the liturgy in several of these places. He's new. But the heat will be terrible in the afternoon. We'll see how I can handle the strong sunlight and heat. Hopefully tonight my arab friend will invite me over to his house for Ramadan dinner. It's always nice to be there ... that would be a great break from an otherwise overpowering day.