Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Eid el Fitri

A tray full of Qattayef
just for me!
Muslims in Israel/Palestine were still unsure if it wsa Eid el Fitri even though many other countries have already declared it. By yesterday evening there was no word from the Grand Mufti and the canon was not fired to announce the feast. Later in the night when Jordan announced the start of the feast, then Jerusalem joined in. It was a very muted affair ... what with the war  going on and heavy police presence throughout the City. This morning at 4am then canon sounded several times announcing the feast and for a couple of hours the City was packed with muslims going to the Al Aqsa. Then everything went quiet. The bazaars packed up, nargile hawkers disappeared, the streets were empty. Even the police packed and most left the City.

The few acquaintances that I met along the streets exchanged greetings "Eid Mubarak", "Kull sane we inte salen" ... there were no balloons, fire crackers and fireworks, no candies ... It was very subdued. You can imagine everyone here having a relative inside Gaza and how they feel about celebrating the Eid when their relatives are suffering or died in the war down south.

Tomato braised chicken by
Sr. Munira
I had to go to work as usual. It was very hot and I was afraid of my nose bleeding again. Had the same throbbing headache. But coming home I found a nice surprise waiting for me .... a tray full of qattayef, my favourite arabic dessert of pancakes stuffed with walnuts or cheese. And there was also tomato braised chicken! A gift from the Sisters of St. Vincent de Paul in Sheyagh on the  Mt. of Olives. Your kind gifts throughout these years have not only helped them care for the orphans but now also the medicines, torchlights and money you donated have helped the persecuted christians in Syria whom these sisters are also helping. Sr. Munira, who cooked the chicken, is syrian and returns often to help her fellow villagers escaping persecution from extremists. The food was their thanks for all the help you have offered. Unfortunately I can't send them to you so I'll eat them on your behalf!!!!