Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Shavuot

Shavuot lunch ... not kosher but
I'm still enjoying it
Today is the Jewish Feast of Shavuot of Pentecost. It's the wheat harvest festival and the beginning of summer. Israelis celebrate by having family outings in the fields and of course, with barbecue. Flowers and wheat ears are woven into crowns and worn by girls. Thousands of ultra-orthodox Jews make their way to the Wailing Wall for prayers. However the sky is dark and wind is cold. It rained several times ... scattered showers that come and go ... but surprising nonetheless as it has not rained in May for well over a decade. Traditionally Israelis eat cheesecake on this feast ... which I'd really like. But I'd better eat any ... afraid of new allergies. So it's har gao and siu mai instead.

Arab arrested by soldiers
last evening at Damascus
Gate
But it is also Nakba Day .. the day when palestinians commemorate the lost of their land when they were displaced as refugees because Israel became a Jewish state in 1948. There were minor scuffles in various parts of East Jerusalem. Last evening I witnessed an attack at Damascus Gate. The arab was quickly arrested by soldiers. This morning there were more violent scuffles in front of my house. Groups of jews tried to enter the mosque and muslims came to block the way. Ended up in a fight. Soldiers had to step in. Roads around teh City are closed off. City Gates are closed to arabs below 40 yrs old. Streets inside the City are also blocked off with security checkpoints. But the rest of us continue life as usual.

Two surprise but happy encounters to balance the tense situation. The previous day my former student from 15 years back came on pilgrimage with his family. They're from Beijing. He found out I was here when their guide mentioned me. So we met for lunch and had a alot of catch up. This morning on my way home form the Holy Sepulchre, I met Sr Maria Ko and her group of Salesian sisters on ongoing formation course here. She was my professor some 20 years ago. We managed to chat for a while.