Another day of demonstrations ... and again not what you think. This time it's thousands of Israelis against their own government over economic changes. From Tel Aviv to Jerusalem to Beer Sheva, Jews gathered to protest the rise in taxes over everything.
http://www.jpost.com/National-News/Across-Israel-hundreds-protest-against-new-budget-313568
I've been working non-stop since 5am this morning. Got home at 5.30pm, took a shower and fell asleep by 6pm. Woke up now at 11.30pm because my phone was ringing. I've been having attacks of asthma these few days now that I'm off Pred. It's a terrible steroid to use to control my asthma but it's the most effective. As I just had finished a course, I can't retake it again immediately.
 |
| Tea-seller in the streets |
While things in and around seem out of control, a sense of normalcy is assured when the itinerant tea-seller shows up in the streets. A common sight since the Ottoman era, these tea-sellers offer tamarind or carob drinks popularly drunk in summer. But as time changes, I think even the itinerant tea-seller will also soon disappear just like many other aspects of local life ... a sad transition into a rootless future. The next generation will only see photos of it ... but never experience the smell and taste of drinking carob tea from a copper dispenser on a hot, stiffling summer day. But will the future generations protest and demonstrate in the streets for a past they lost? Unlikely. Money talks louder.