Yesterday's Election Day was a great occasion for Israelis to enjoy the holiday. The Old City was packed - literally sardine packed with Israelis who came for a visit. And they're mainly secular Israelis. Whole families in the carloads. There was not a parking space available around the city. The Light Rail was jammed pack and the streets had no standing space. Election Day is certainly good for local business. Restaurants and little eateries made brisk business. Who cares if Netanyahu wins? Just organise an Election Day holiday once a month ... it brings in the money. That's what most local shopkeepers feel.
 |
| Chicken soup at Mandarin's |
I went to Mandarin's yesterday for lunch with an Israeli friend. He was going off to vote but decided to stop by for a chinese meal. The restaurant was quite busy. Ah Ling the owner had just boiled chinese chicken soup with herbs and insisted I drink a huge bowlful in order to strengthen my constitution. It was good. Drank halfway through before deciding to take a photo. Ah Ling has a new menu done. Lots of new dishes - homemade dumplings and buns (bao). I guess I'll have to organise a reunion dinner here for the New Year. It's pretty costly so I'll have to work to earn something.
And here's a headline from a local newspaper:
Want to buy a home in Israel? Better get yourself a large fortune; Israel isn't quite as expensive as Hong Kong, yet. But going by a new international study,
Everything is expensive. The new govt. is not going to solve this anytime soon. The economy severely needs some chicken soup booster.