Thursday, September 6, 2012

Monastery church doors burnt

An unbelievably hectic week. And so much pain in my usual spots .... well at least I managed to survive another week in spite of the pain. I'm just trying to remember what a vacation feels like. Or a painless day.

Sunrise over Nazareth
Anyway it was fun to run into the Palestinian Trade Expo in Nazareth a couple of days ago. Pretty small by any standards but despite the constraints of space and products, it was a good show. It's the first time Israel has granted permits for Palestinian territory products to be showcased inside Israel. So I thought it was pretty nice. There was embroided clothes, glass products, ceramics, olive oil, beer from the Christian village of Taybeh, nuts of all types (the edible type, not the people!!!), linen products, metal products, furniture ... quite a vast array. And I got to see a lovely sunrise over the city of Nazareth. Fabulous sight.

Sunrise over the Annunciation
Basilica in Nazareth
There's been tensions in the streets. Road blocks everywhere, more police presence. I understand it's due to some violence resulting from Israelis taking over arab houses in Jerusalem. It's making the traffic intolerable ... all these road blocks.

But of course what shocked everyone was the burning of the Trappist Monastery's church doors and anti-christian graffiti sprayed all over.  http://edition.cnn.com/2012/09/04/world/meast/israel-monastery-attack/index.html?hpt=imi_c2   The fanatical fringe of zionist jews has gone too far. But like all the other attacks on christians these few months, nothing will be done. Just a shrug of the shoulders. And christians continue to get bashed.