Monday, July 18, 2011

At the Boulevard

Saturday saw a huge "tent-in" at Rothschild Boulevard to protest against rising rent and housing. http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/spririt-of-revolution-starts-in-tel-aviv-sweeps-across-israel-1.373613   It was a fun atmosphere despite the severity of the issue. Crowds were gathering between the tents for a spontaneous cook-out with people bringing food to share, or to cook in portable stoves. That was one demonstration I wasn't worried getting caught up in. Actually it was quite fun. Today the govt. reacted quickly to the protest because this "tent-in" is spreading nationwide.  http://www.jpost.com/DiplomacyAndPolitics/Article.aspx?id=229726

A huge forest fire has broken out today in Ein Kerem. Our monastery there has its electricty cut ... but hopefully the road is still open. http://www.jpost.com/NationalNews/Article.aspx?id=229745

The canaries did well this year. We have 7 new babies flying around now. And one bald-headed canary from somewhere flew into our school; possibly mauled by a cat or something. She's recovering well and is now with the rest of the babies inside the bird cage.

Last night I dreamt of Dimitri - someone I heard of but never met. Today at 3pm, without any previous arrangement, our paths crossed. Weird.