Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Back again

Have been out of action the past two days. Utter exhaustion and acute diarrhea. Should be due for my gastroscopy but still can't confirm time to get it done.  Thanks to Hilda and her gang - I finally got the portable aircon because the heat is so bad we can't sleep anymore. And thanks to all the rest of you for the prayers and help.

Yesterday was the Feast of St Anthony - a very big feast among Cahotlics because he is the patron of the Holyland mission. There was a solemn Mass at the parish of St Anthony in Jaffa and lots of people joined in. St Anthony is the patron saint of lost things - well I lost my best friend last week. Wish St Anthony could do me a miracle. I'm devastated and utterly lost. Only 6 months ago I lost Sr Rania.

Yesterday Hidri was upset because of the first ever volcano explosion in his country Eritrea. Here everyone is very concerned because the ash cloud is drifting towards us. http://www.haaretz.com/news/national/eritrean-volcanic-ash-cloud-heading-toward-israel-1.367613

Well for the past two weeks I've been invited out by the 1st and 3rd year students for a drink in the New City's pubs. The first was a thank-you and goodbye session for Prof. Mark Avila and the second was to fete Prof. Volgger. As I don't drink alcohol, it was Sprite all the night. And it was my first time out as well - never believed how the conservative city turned alive with young people after 10pm. Certainly fun for them - as for me and the profs ... oldies get tired easily. And I had my diarrhea as well ... so I certainly couldn't enjoy the evening. But the students are a great group - nutty as any university students are, but very caring. They've been keeping watch on me the entire 2 months to make sure I'm not in pain or need of help. And when it got real chilly in the open air pub last week, Vasile took off his coat and wrapped me up in it while he froze in his T-shirt and summer scarf.