In the former "house" under the staircase
Dear Father
I am Mrs Faizah Farid. With my husband we left our village of birth - Minyah - to Upper Egypt in search of a better future. Our hopes were not realised. I am now a widow for 4 years. I lost my husband who died of a tumour and I have 5 children ranging from 8 to 18 yrs old.
I worked as a doorkeeper in an old building since last June. I received a monthly salary of US$40. I did not have a proper house and I slept under a staircase with my daughter and 2 youngest sons; the two older boys sleep on the terrace in summer and on the staircase in winter.
I worked at extra jobs and earned a mere extra US$30 a month. It was absolutely impossible for my family to survive. With pain I prayed to God. I did not know how the Franciscan fathers knew about me, but with their help I was able to live with a little more dignity.
Then suddenly this year I was told to leave my work and "home". I cannot tell you how I felt at that moment. I lost all hope but I still trusted in God. I did not know who to turn to. I went to the Franciscan Fathers in Musky. I was terribly afraid. They told me to wait and pray.
One day they told me to look for a room to let. I did not expect much. I looked for a tiny room. The owners asked for 30,000 egyptian lire which was beyond my possibilities and imagination. Where could I find the equivalent of US$6000 for this tiny room? Only a miracle could help me.
In the beginning of June the Franciscan Fathers of Musky told me that if Charity is a miracle, then Providence will work it out. The friends of a chinese franciscan living in Jerusalem can help me.
Now I have two little rooms. We have no beds, tables, chairs, nothing ... but for once we as a family could live under the same roof.
Dear Fr. Lionel, I do not know how to read or write. I asked the Franciscan Fathers to write this letter for me and recount my story to you.
Thank you.
I wish I could add more but words cannot express my thanks to God and the Virgin Mary, the Franciscan Fathers in Musky and especially to you and your friends.
May the Lord give you peace, serenity, without worries and success in all your work
Um Nashhat (Mrs Faizah Farid), Nashhat, Ashraf, Nisma, Kirillos, Ghierghes
Former "house" under the staircase
In the new apartment





