Sunday, June 27, 2010

Change of weather

There's a lovely full moon shining through my window the last 2 nights. It floats through the Jerusalem sky, it's light bouncing off the buildings on the Mt. of Olives.

And the weather has changed - alot cooler in fact and windy. This afternoon I was invited to lunch by the John the Baptist community. They were very kind and cooked a simple meal that I could eat. We chatted. Then on my way home, I decided to take the alleys of the Old City to avoid the crowds. It was nice and quiet. A lovely breeze was blowing. And round a corner there was the smell of barbeque - so very summer and arabic here in the Holyland. Passed the Spanish sisters convent. Clean quiet alley going downhill with lots of steps. Round another corner passing the Missionaries of Charity convent (no guesses, the alley is named "churches street"). reached the busy Suq (market) of Damascus Gate - passing by the tailor's shop where I stopped to say "hi" to the old haj. Haven't seen him for over 6 months (haven't been walking that alley for a long time). The old haj was very happy (he's muslim - haj is what we call old muslim men who made a pilgrimage to Mecca - but he has no problems with christians) and greeted me with typical arabic warmth and joy. It was good to see the old man again, still cutting cloth and sewing on his ancient Singer machine. Passed by the Shwarma store and the owner waved to me - haven't chatted with him for a long time too. Haven't bought a shwarma to eat for a very long time too. Passed by the souvenir store and the muslim owner whom I knew since 18 yrs back called me in to chat - he wanted to know if I was taking any herbal medicine as he was worried about my weight loss. Passed by another souvenir store and the muslim owner said he had been to Mecca and prayed for me and brought back Zam Zam water (muslim equivalent to holy water) to cure me.

My friend Habeeb is getting married right now in Haifa. He insisted on me coming for the wedding - but the thought of a 3 hr car ride while I'm still coughing tons of phlegm, a slight fever of 37 degrees and aching bones is not encouraging. About to rest when - as usual this entire week - the phone had to ring and wake me. It was Zaki, Habeeb's best friend, calling from the wedding. And Boaz, Habeeb's and our electrician, is also there. Hope they have a great time. I understand the dinner is going to be a big thing.

And Fr Vincenzo has arrived from Musky (Cairo). gave him all your donations to sponsor the children there. He's very grateful and will send some photos and reports on the situation.