Today is Sept. 11, a sad memorial for all those innocent lives lost in the Twin Towers and the Pentagon. It's not a time to point fingers and accuse. It is a time to remember the gift of all those people who were once with us. They played their part, fulfilled their mission. Now they receive their heavenly reward.
This morning as usual I went to the Sisters of Ivrea to say Mass at 5.30am. Everything was quiet. But on the way back, I couldn't enter the Old City because the Israeli soldiers blockaded all the City Gates. I forgot to bring my passport and ID so they refused to let me in. It was only after several minutes when I found the captain and spoke with him that he ordered the soldiers to open the blockades and let me through. This is now such a hassle - people who live inside the Old City cannot even enter freely.
Anyway we've all decided today is a bad day to go out. With blockades up, it means many thousands of muslims will not be able to enter the Dome of the Rock and pray Friday prayers. That means demonstrations and riots. Stay at home and lock the doors!!!!!!!! Usually we won't make the Way of the Cross in order to avoid clashes with muslims in the street. This morning at 5.30am a Korean group (50 people or so) led by my Korean Catholic friend/guide Berardus arrived at our gate. They were being hassled by 3 muslim youths shouting insults at the top of their voices. Bad timing to be out in the streets - Fridays of Ramadan - regardless of the hour. I warned Berardus to get the 1st 5 Stations over quickly and move to the 6th Station which is safer for the people.
And being the beginning of the Sabbath, we can expect ultra-orthodox Jews protesting in the other side of the City.
I think I've got a breakthrough in my research ... a little light .... that means more work, more reading to proof my point.