The streets in my area were/are full of soldiers and police. I was pretty surprised when I went out yesterday afternoon to bring the Melbourne chinese group to do some shopping in the Christian Quarter. I asked the shop-keepers opposite my monastery and they all said "Bush is coming tomorrow". They weren't particularly happy because the presence of hundreds of soldiers and police scare the tourists away from their shops, and they have no business.
The weather was very wet yesterday - drizzle and heavy rains last night; which is a good thing. This morning the sun is out in full force but the streets are alot quieter due to the heavy security. Tourists are avoiding this place. But in the Christian Quarter, it's all life! You see, it's the Orthodox Christmas. They celebrate it on Jan. 6th. Strange thing is they use our western Christmas carols, and even have a Santa Claus walking the streets and ringing a bell. Hmmmm if only they could keep to their own traditions - it's very rich and ancient and beautiful. This is what tourists would like to see. In many places here in the Holyland, the Orthodox have chosen to celebrate Christmas with us Latins on Dec. 25th and for Easter we Latins join the Orthodox by following their calendar (usually one week later than our gregorian calendar). It's a nice ecumenical gesture that is generally approved by everyone.
The Melbourne chinese students did a great job at Sunday mass when they sang the Hail Mary in chinese during communion. Everyone loved it and after Mass Sr. Geronima and superior Sr Veronica expressed their appreciation. Sr Geronima cried - she said it was very beautiful and it was the first time she heard the chinese Hail Mary. Well for an encore I asked the group to come back this morning as I was presiding the Mass. We sang the Sanctus in chinese and then for communion they sang "The Lord is my Shepherd" in chinese. Again a splendid job! Everyone loved it. Sr Veronica told me to thank them. The Dean told me to invite them everyday for Mass and sing something. My superior Fr Carlo thought they were singing in french!!!!! OK so he's 80 yrs old and doesn't hear well ..... but he liked it very much nevertheless. And all the other students and professors also expressed their appreciation. Only down side was the professors began to ask the indian students to sing in Malayalam when it's their turn to be hebdom. and the indians weren't very enthusiastic. They think I've started a trend and giving them pressure and they do not feel confident in singing in their language. So they beat me up in the corridor. No just joking!!!! We laughed and pushed and punched around - our usual guy bantering when we get together. Its all fun - or "bonding" as pop psychiatrists will put it.
The canaries are freezing! The Dean made this solemn remark during breakfast loudly and of course all eyes fell on me. I quickly said it's the superior who should do something about it; thinking I could get away with it. Unfortunately the superior just entered the refectory and said "What? Who's using my name?" (This time he heard it loud and clear! Hmmmm didn't sound french to me!) Everyone laughed at me and I had to explain about the birds. He told me to get plastic coverings to wrap the cage as the temp. is now almost 2 degrees in the mornings. Hmm I wonder if I could also wrap my room with it - it's getting terribly cold and the wind blows through the gaps of the door and windows - and I'm still sleeping on the floor.
OK back to working on my thesis.