| Summer sun and shadow |
I guess one of the reasons for the sudden surge of school excursions is the rising cost of everything. Organising a summer camp is now very costly. Most families struggling to bring food to the table, are not able to afford sending their kids to summer camps this year. So the alternative is a one day excursion to different parts of the country. Mind you petrol is also very costly and hiring a coach for transport is expensive. But shared between 40 - 50 students and subsidised by the school, it's more affordable than a 5 day summer camp.
one thing I noticed about these summer excursions is its very educational. Teachers and tourist guides teach the students the history of the place, visit churches, mosques and synagogues. It opens the horizons of the students and introduces them to other communities living around them that they hold with suspicion and fear. So I feel excursions are more beneficial than week long summer camps.