 |
Ss. Vincenza & Bartolomea |
Once again a whole week has flown passed and I didn't even realize it. We've been busy preparing for the Ascension, and children's first communions ... such that I lost trace of time.
April is over and we're well into May. Today I was reminded that the Sisters of Charity celebrate their feast day of their foundresses - Ss. Bartolomea and Vincenza. The congregation was founded in northern Italy for the care and education of poor girls. Nowadays the sisters run schools and vocational institutes, hospitals and most famously cared for emeritus pope Benedict in his retirement. Happy feast to them! Here in the Holy Land they administer two hospitals and two sanctuaries.
 |
| Ajue bread |
I'm quite exhausted from all the activities and have been resting more than usual. The body and mind is not longer able to cope with daily activities ... and I was "gently" reminded I'm no longer young nor in good health. In fact the numerous medicines I have to take each day is now reacting badly. Acid reflux is so major it's choking me daily and preventing me from sleeping. The anti-reflux medicine that I take every morning is not enough. Doc said to take another one every night. But I'm reluctant because the side-effect is loss of memory. As it already is, I can't find my books, my keys, even my direction. Augmenting it with medication is not welcome. I may forget even my name next.
This morning I did a very local thing ... eating a piece of bread under the palm trees. It was ajue bread ... dough baked with date paste. I haven't done this is many years. It feels very nice. Very homey. Something for the feast of Ss. Vincenza and Bartolomea.